Writers Guidelines - Connections
Connections is a magazine for evangelical Lutheran Christians. It is published six times each year. We publish devotional articles of 400 words, and other articles of 800 to 1,200 words in length.
If you have an idea or topic you would like us to consider for an article, tell us about it. Every submission is considered. If your proposed article is of interest, we will contact you within 30 days. Query letters are appreciated but not required.
Please read our guidelines carefully before submitting your article, photo, or artwork. If you have additional questions after reading the guidelines, please contact Amy Little (email@example.com). Please do not email questions or submissions until you have carefully studied our writer's guidelines.
Connections prefers to accept submissions by email. Please put "Connections Submission" in the subject line. Writers without access to email may mail queries to: Sola Publishing, Attention: Connections, PO Box 855, Graham, NC 27253. All queries and manuscripts received by mail will be evaluated, but cannot be returned.
When submitting your article or manuscript, please follow these guidelines:
1) Include your name, mailing address, and phone number in the upper-left corner of the first page. Note the word count in the upper-right corner.
2) Email manuscripts as an attachment to alittle@solapublishing, not as the body of the email text. We prefer Microsoft Word documents.
3) Include a biographic sketch of 30-35 words at the end of the article.
4) Include Scripture references for any Biblical quotations after the final quotation mark, with a period after the final parenthesis mark. [Example: “God so loved…life" (John 3:16 ESV).] Sola uses the ESV.
5) Capitalize the first letter of all proper names for the Divinity, but not pronouns unless it's unclear to who you are referring.
6) Submission of a manuscript, photo, or artwork constitutes permission to publish. All submissions are subject to editing. We ask for one-time print publication rights, and the right to include your published submission in our annual archive edition, available on CD or online. If an article meets our criteria, we reserve the right to hold it for a future issue. Authors maintain full rights to their work after publication.
The themes of our 2021 issues are as follows:
May-June: Fifth Petition – article submission deadline: April 10, 2021
July-August: Sixth Petition – article submission deadline: June 10, 2021
September-October: Seventh Petition – article submission deadline: August 10, 2021
November-December: Doxology – article submission deadline: October 10, 2021
Your articles may be theological, biblical, missional, ecclesiological, or devotional in nature, but must refer specifically to the theme of the issue. For example, if you are writing for the Nov-Dec 2020 issue, you might want to tell our readers about a ministry that has worked well at your church, or in a mission. We ask that your article tell how your ministry/mission connects to the broader issue of the fear and love of God in matters of sex, marriage, and love and honor of spouse. Though your article may deal very specifically with a certain aspect of the Commandment, we only ask that you reference how the Commandment was at work in your ministry/mission or is important to the point of your article.
Download issue themes for the next few years.
We are unable to compensate writers for submissions. However, each author will be mentioned in the Table of Contents, and have their photograph and a brief bio in each article featured in Connections. Authors will also receive a complimentary copy of the issue in which their article appears and special pricing on extra copies.
The editor of Connections reserves the right to edit your manuscript for clarity and space, and to reject any article at any stage of our editing/production process.
Please specify who owns photographs that you submit with your proposed article.
Thank you for considering a submission to Connections!